The Jackson Medical Mall Foundation is accepting applications for a Receptionist in the Support & Outreach Department.
The Jackson Medical Mall Foundation (JMMF) is a nonprofit organization that owns and manages the Jackson Medical Mall. The Foundation’s mission is to foster a holistic approach to health care delivery and to promote economic and community development in the area surrounding the Medical Mall. The Foundation began operations in 1996 and first opened health care clinics and government offices in 1997. At present, the facility is about 98% occupied and houses nearly 80 health care, human service, nonprofit, commercial, and retail tenants.
The Receptionist is the first and last person to be in contact with customers. The impression created by the Receptionist is very important; it strongly influences how customers feel about the Jackson Medical Mall Foundation.
The primary purpose/responsibility of the Receptionist is to make sure the customer feels welcomed and comfortable, taking on the role of the foundation’s host or hostess. This is done by greeting customers cheerfully and with enthusiasm, making them “feel good” about JMMF from the moment they enter and talking with them while they wait.
The Receptionist knows exactly how the office operates, and has the ability to use common sense in carrying out the JMMF policy and ensure all customers are satisfied before leaving the office. The Receptionist has a thorough knowledge of JMMF employees, tenants, tenant locations, events and hours of operation and is able to communicate this information to customers in person and on the phone. It is important for the Receptionist to understand that the voice on the other end of the phone is a potential customer and must ensure that information is delivered cordially and clearly.
BASIC SKILLS REQUIRED
- Computer Literacy – This person must have working knowledge of word-processing software and must be able to navigate Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, Microsoft Outlook, and Microsoft Internet Explorer.
- Writing Skills – This person must demonstrate a proficiency in the writing of letters, memos and project reports.
- Oral Communications Skills – This person must be able to effectively speak with tenants and other customers as well as other JMMF employees.
- System Skills – Knowledge of the overall mission, functions, and organization of the agency or component, including agency program operations, processes, goals, and objectives.
- Organizational Skills – Persistence in verbal and written communication skills, administrative/business skills, and knowledge of grant procedures.
SPECIALIZED SKILLS AND/OR KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Ability to work effectively with little to no supervision.
- Understand basic accounting.
- Ability to type 40 to 60 WPM.
- Basic management and leadership techniques.
- Ability to plan, coordinate, analyze, execute and document specific administrative and management functions with a sense of the long-term goals of the department.
- Must have knowledge of HIPAA Privacy Guidelines and must be HIPAA Certified. (Certification can be provided by JMMF).
- Experience working with the homeless population and/or low-income families is preferred.
- Professional Appearance – Since customers form impressions about the professionalism of JMMF by evaluating employee appearance, employees should dress professionally. No plunging neck lines or open shirts. No distracting hair color or styles that is inappropriate for a professional office environment.
- Outgoing/ Confident/Assertive Personality – Because the Receptionist makes the first contact with each customer, it is vital that this person be warm and friendly. This position requires a person who truly enjoys working with people.
- Communication Skills – The ability to clearly explain JMMF services, hours of operation and listen effectively to customers is critical to this position.
- Good Phone Manner – The ability to effectively communicate over the telephone. Good voice tone, hearing, and the ability to articulate on the phone are vital.
- Good Organizational Skills – This person must be organized and able to multi-task exceptionally well.
- Reliability – Receptionist must be prompt, dependable, and consistent in their performance.
JMMF will pay for health, dental and life insurance and allow employee to participate in a deferred compensation system. JMMF provides semiannual performance reviews for all employees with bonuses of as much as 10% of base pay. Employee earns one week of vacation after six months and a second week after a full year. JMMF provides nine paid holidays for this position. JMMF also has a tuition assistance program for full-time employees.
The Receptionist reports to and works directly with the VP of Support & Outreach. The Receptionist is also responsible for assisting with a series of short and long-term assignments.
Job Specific Tasks for the Receptionist:
- Answer all incoming telephone calls and forward to appropriate staff and take messages when necessary.
- Check voicemail messages daily and forward or return calls as required.
- Greet all visitors.
- Listen attentively to customers and refer them to the appropriate extensions or office personnel.
- Keep the front desk and waiting area neat and clean daily.
- Check mail daily and distribute to appropriate staff mail boxes.
- Schedule/ reschedule client appointments. Appointments are scheduled on Tuesday through Thursday only. Monday and Friday are payment processing days.
- Escort clients to the appropriate Intake Room upon arrival.
- Make follow up calls to remind clients about appointments.
- Utilize Slack inter office IM system and HMIS Awards system.
- Assist with Condom Distribution.
- Assist with identification of housing resources for clients and maintain adequate records for departmental references.
- Oversee organization of the Resource Corner and ensure up to date and relevant information is displayed.
- Attend all departmental staff meetings.
- Assist with identification of any program issues or challenges and provide feedback to the Project Director.
- Comply with all JMMF Confidentiality and Conflict of Interest Regulations.
- Comply with HIPAA Guidelines.
- All other duties as assigned by the VP of Support & Outreach Services and/or the Executive Director.
Normal working hours are 8:00am – 1:00pm Monday thru Thursday. At the discretion of the VP of Support & Outreach Services and the Executive Director this position may require an additional time commitment for special projects.